Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"The Story of Stuff": My Leisure Time

In the short film "The Story of Stuff" Annie, the narrator says that, in the United States, most of our leisure time is used to watch TV, shop, or on the web instead of with your family and friends. And I found out the this little fact is true about me.

A lot of my free time is spent on the web, reading, or watching television. If I were to count up the hours I spend more than 20 hours a week just surfing the net. I have lived this way for a long time now, and its become a habbit now. I go to school, come back home, then chat with my friends on the web, watch television shows, or read during my free time. To me this is normal, and an everyday thing.

Another thing that I've realized is the amount of time I spend indoors. If I were to count up the amount of hours I spend outside just walking around it would be somewhere between 5-10 hours a week. Which compared to the amount of time I spend indoors, is close to nothing.

After viewing this short film, I've realized many things and now i'm going to try to change this. I've already started. Yesterday instead of my usual 3-5 hours I spend on the net, I went outside and walked around the neighborhood and also spent some time talking, REALLY talking with my sisters about stuff. Usually we barely talked with each other, other than when watching t.v. together.

I'm doing my best to change now as I don't want to be the way I am now. I want to change, and I want to change for the better.

No comments: